AUM Online
HEOA Filing Complaints
In compliance with the Higher Education Opportunities Act of 2008 (HEOA), institutions offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student’s state.

It is recommended that students taking online classes at Auburn University Montgomery (AUM) first pursue their concerns with the department and college. In compliance with the AUM Student Handbook, complaints regarding grades, a formal written letter must be sent to designated faculty member of the course. If the complaint is not resolved with the designated faculty member, a formal written letter must be sent to the department head or chair.

If a student has a grievance, a formal written letter must be sent to the Office of the Provost at Auburn University Montgomery. Harassment complaints must be sent to the Office of Human Resources at Auburn University Montgomery.  The Title IX Discrimination Complaint Form (including sexual harassment) can be found by following this link:  If the issue cannot be resolved internally and the student seeks further resolution, the student may refer to the contacts below for the appropriate accrediting body or state agency.

University Addresses:

Office of the Provost

Auburn University Montgomery
PO Box 244023
Montgomery, AL 36124

Office of Human Resources

Auburn University Montgomery
PO Box 244023
Montgomery, AL 36124

Accrediting Agency
Auburn University Montgomery is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. A person wishing to file a complaint about the institution should use the official Complaint Against Institutions Information Form.   Students should note that the Commission’s complaint processes are “for the purpose of addressing any significant non-compliance with the Commission’s standards, policies, or procedures, the procedures are not intended to be used to involve the Commission in disputes between individuals and member institutions.”  Detailed information on the SACSCOC complaint process can be found on their website:

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097

State Agencies for Out-of-State Students:
Refer to the Student Complaint Information by State and Agency, compiled by the State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO).  (
AUM Tower